Charity of the Month: Second Sense

Second Sense

Second Sense presents the 11th Annual
PASSIONATE FOCUS Benefit & Art Exhibit

Thursday, May 9, 2013
6:00-9:00 p.m.
Palmer House Hilton 17 E. Monroe Street, Chicago
$150 Special Rate for Young Professionals: $100 (30 and younger).  
Reserve at www.second-sense.org or by calling (312) 582-2983.

There are over 290,000 people who are blind or visually impaired over the age of 18 in Illinois, according to the American Foundation for the Blind.

In Chicago, Second Sense helps visually impaired and blind adults live active and independent lives, working individually with each person to address their specific goals. Services are offered free-of-charge in a supportive environment at Second Sense and various community sites by our professionally trained staff who are certified to provide the highest quality services with patience, empathy, and courtesy.

Passionate Focus is our annual benefit, celebrating the work of artists with vision loss. Each year, a jury of arts professionals selects the works to be included in the exhibit based solely on artistic merit without any information about the artists’ visual impairments. To qualify for the exhibit, artists must be legally blind. With its amazing display of varied and inspiring artwork, Passionate Focus vividly demonstrates that vision loss need not be an impediment to pursuing ones dreams.

Guests at Passionate Focus enjoy a vibrant evening of art and music, great food, an exciting silent auction and raffle and other fun activities. Visit our Passionate Focus website for more information, to see photos of the art or read about last year’s event.

Each year, over 100 pieces are submitted for consideration by a jury of professionals in the art world. The jurors select the works to be included in the exhibit based solely on their artistic merit and are not provided with any information about the artists’ visual impairment. The event is not only a fantastic evening to celebrate the exhibit; it is a way for Second Sense to further our mission. Guests to the exhibit are amazed at the range of work and the talent of the artists. They walk away with the realization that vision loss does not impede a person from pursuing their dreams.
After the event, the artwork will be on display through June 7th at the Illinois College of Optometry in Chicago.

Second Sense (formerly The Guild for the Blind) has been serving people with vision loss for over 65 years, helping them live on their own terms and reawakening their sense of self and their passion for life. Within a friendly and supportive environment, the Second Sense staff empowers and encourages its clients and provides individualized services that meet individual needs. Each year, Second Sense serves over 850 people through individual and small group services in counseling, technology training and independent living skills. The organization serves an additional 3,000 through professional development and information and referral services. The focus of Second Sense is to help its members rediscover their sense of self, maintain their sense of humor, discover a sense of belonging and gain a sense of purpose. Second Sense helps its clients move beyond their vision loss to active and fulfilling lives, rich with possibilities.

We thank you for considering a donation to Second Sense.
Your gift will help our programs reach those who need our services the most.  
Only 48% of Second Sense’s annual budget is covered through corporate giving, foundation grants and government support. We rely on your contributions for the remaining 52% of the budget.

To give you an idea of what your donation can accomplish, we have provided the costs for one person to participate in some of our programs (for example):
$17 provides one hour of computer training class
$38 helps one job seeker attend one of our three-week career training workshops
$46 pays for someone to attend our 15-session therapeutic support group
$76 offers one hour of individual counseling to someone adjusting to vision loss
$112 allows one senior to attend a New Visions workshop to help them live independently

Donors will receive Second Sense’s quarterly newsletter, Perspectives, to learn how their investment is reaching adults with vision loss and changing their lives.

To donate by mail:
Download a convenient contribution form via our website and mail to:
Second Sense
Cheryl Megurdichian, Director of Development 

65 E. Wacker Place. Suite 1010 

Chicago, IL 60601

To donate by phone please call:
Cheryl Megurdichian 
312-582-2983 

Monday-Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Central Time

Also… Adopt a Braillewriter! We have 10 machines, but they all need to be cleaned and repaired. This Spring we are just over the halfway mark to meeting our goal!